Matthias Schönijahn (1981) is a Berlin based artist. He researches on formats and techniques from the fields of performing arts as well as sound art. One of his main focus is the voice as phenomena. His work derives from theories and practices of listening, as strategy and political way of action.
Based on that he creates videos and installations that relate documentary material, sound, and performance.
His next piece is Who’d have thought that snow falls (1-4.10.2021) in Cooperation with Kulturbüro Elisabeth, funded by Capital Cultural Fund (Hauptstadtkulturfonds) and presented by Digital in Berlin.
1: some like it hot
2: only lovers left alive
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
2. How and when did you get into making music?
3. What are 5 of your favorite albums of all time?
Nirvana – Nevermind
David Bowie – The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And the Spiders From Mars
Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
Marianne Faithful – Broken English
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
cold winter wonderful spring doggie do rats cars construction sides ecstasy
5. What’s your favorite place in your town?
this i will keep as a secret
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
becoming a zombie instead of being a vampire
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
lucrecia dalt – no era sólida
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
I probably was so immersed – i currently forgot
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
it is channeling creativity
11. Do you have siblings, and how do they feel about your career/art?
probably he doesn’t like it
Picture by Johannes Plank