The sounds which Japanese-born artist Kyoka create, are sometimes unrefined to define it as some specific genre – as it is experimental, rough, but at once even beautiful and pop.Nevertheless, its contradicting factors construct her own resonance in the outputs, grabbing an audience to dance. Although she often referred as the first ever female solo artist from legendary Berlin-based electronic label, raster-noton, her chaotic, but supple groovy sounds goes beyond boundaries of gender or nationality, without any kinds of explanatory description.
1: Balance and health boost me.
2: Music boosts energy.
3: Time flies. I need to move fast.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Resonance of sounds in rooms.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
Around 3 years old, I played piano by improvisation. And its sound moved my heart.
3. What are 5 of your favorite albums of all time?
I can not tell those yet ..
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Living place as the human.
5. What’s your favorite place in your town?
Any kinds of waterside. (But not stinky one.)
6. If there what no music in the world, what would you do instead?
Paint a sketch of many scenery.
7. What was the load record / music you bought?
Oneohtrix Point Never, Ueno Masaaki, Grischa Lichtenberger, Frank Bretschneider,
Sakamoto Ryuichi & Alva Noto, Kangding Ray, Africa Hitech, Byetone, Ryoji Ikeda
(I bought all of those at the same day.)
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
Time / Light and shadow / Water / Oil
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
The gig at Berghain, which was the 20th anniversary of raster-noton,
as the performer and also as the spectator.
Everything happened there literally have boosted my energy.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
Technology is important to let me fly fast and also wide.
(But without technology I fly deep and more in dotted way.)
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career / art?
They have been surprised, and also happy with my long-term efforts. (well, since 3 years old ..)
Kyoka is going to play in KRAKE festival from 27th to 31th July at various locations in Berlin.
Check out more details here .
| Smash / Hush |