Damian Dalla Torre is a Leipzig-based tenor saxophonist, composer and producer who works in the areas of improvised and experimental music. After completing his studies at the Vienna Conservatory and the Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy University of Music and Theatre in Leipzig in March 2018, he founded the LOBSTER ensemble. An active member of formations such as Wild Brush, Antonia Hausmann Quartett, Brigade Futur 3, Beyond w / Bernhardt, or the Euregio Jazzwerkstatt, he has toured some of Europe’s most renowned festivals and clubs. Happy Floating is his first solo album.
1. star sign: Gemini
2. had a cat (Susi) that got 24 years old
3. obsessive collector of casio keyboards/saxophone mouthpieces
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Love, nostalgia, surroundings and other music.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
I started taking recorder-lessons at the age of 5. The teacher said I was good, which kept me motivated to continue.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
At the moment:
ADHD – ADHD6
Efterklang – Altid Sammen
Enders Room – Hotel Alba
Kompost 3 – Abyss
Marco Kleebauer – Magnolia
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Music, Dumplings, Ramen, Pizza.
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
Cospudener See (West Bank)
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
Would love to be a Painter, farming mushrooms or/and artichokes, Ski-Racer/Instructor.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Oh no Noh (where one begins and the other stops) Tape-Cassette
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
OTTO (at Jazzwerkstatt Bern 2022) – first time I saw colors and Images listening to music.
First two gigs with my Band during Happy Floating Tour, unfortunately the rest was cancelled due to covid. Was never before able to enjoy being on stage so much. Love my Band!
Efterklang Altid Sammen Tour. The Band picked me up in Leipzig looking for a Saxophone/Bass-clarinet player and took me on Tour for a Week. Came back super inspired and started working on Happy Floating. Lovely and most friendly People.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
For my current way of composing and producing it’s essential.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
I have two brothers, they both try to understand what I do. Very supportive, always sharing posts and asking me regularly what I’m working on and rejoice over my accomplishments.