Volksbuehne Berlin

0 Shares
0
0
0

The Volksbühne Berlin (trans. peoples stage) on Rosa Luxemburg Platz is one of the longest running venues in Berlin. Besides its regular theater events it also pays host to the Musikbühne programme which presents an extremely high quality series of live music concerts.

The Volksbühne was built during the years 1913 to 1914 and was designed by Oskar Kaufmann, with integrated sculpture by Franz Metzner. It has its origin in an organization known as the “Freie Volksbühne” (“Free People’s Theater”) which sketched out the vision for a theater “of the people” in 1892. The goal of the organization was to promote the naturalist plays of the day at prices accessible to the common worker. The original slogan inscribed on the edifice was “Die Kunst dem Volke” (“Art to the people”). During World War II, the theatre was heavily damaged like much of the rest of Berlin. From 1950 to 1954, it was rebuilt according to the design of architect Hans Richter.

Directed by Frank Castorf since 1992, the theater was named the most exciting stage in Germany („aufregendste Bühne Deutschlands“), attracting much press attention and establishing a reputation as one of the most provocative and experimental major theaters in contemporary Germany.

Volksbühne | Linienstraße 227 | 10178 Berlin/Mitte

www.volksbuehne-berlin.de | Facebook | Map  //  Volksbühne @ D/B


Photo from Wikipedia

0 Shares
You May Also Like

Musikbrauerei

The Musikbrauerei is one of the last authentic locations in Prenzlauer Berg, the 120 year old Schneider Brewery.…

c-base

c-base e. V. is a non-profit association of about 550 members located in Berlin, Germany. The purpose of…

KM28

A relatively new small location in the heart of Neukölln, on Karl Marx Strasse: hense the name. KM28…

Zabriskie Bookshop

Zabriskie is a bookshop in the centre of Kreuzberg which has a focus in literature and literary happenings…

Astra

One of the largest venues in Friedrichshain. Astra hosts a wide range of quality rock and electronica music…

OHM

A club located in the former battery room of a disused power plant. Formerly known as Shift. OHM…