Maque is a Bolivian multidisciplinary artist based in Berlin who works in body-based performance and music production.Parallel to a formal education in performance and dance she started DJing and rapping in 2017 and has become a staple of the Berlin Latinx club and art scene.
Her work mixes choreography, audience participation and music into hybrid performance-art events addressing empowerment through pleasure and spiritual activism and knowledge production/reflection using the body. She has brought these performances and practices to several countries throughout Europe and the Americas.During 2022 she recorded her first 3 singles and video clips, from which the first one – C4R4COL – was released in March. The following 2 are planned to drop soon. She is also currently collaborating with producers Isasi Isasi and auto_timer for her first EP.
Maque will perform a DJ set on Saturday, 29.07 as part of the Durchlüften! – Open Air im Schlüterhof Festival at Humboldt Forum with concerts by Combo Chimbita (NYC/ Columbia) Gotopo (Berlin/ Venezuela~Columbia).
1. Pleasure is transformative
2. Movement creates sound creates movement creates sound creates movement…
3. I inherited my love for fashion from mi mamá <3
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Movement in every way, connecting with people and inviting them to feel and dance with me, Reggaeton flirting with different genres, Andean music, Latin American music, things I’m experiencing and want to share.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
I started DJ-ing and rapping about 5 years ago and it led me to wanting to produce my own music, so I started to.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Sin Miedo-Kali Uchis
Last Don-Don Omar
KiCk i- Arca
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
The birthplace of Yoggaton
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
I’m a dancer too so I would dance more in silence, I guess.
7. What was the last record/music you bought or listen?
El Cucuy – BLENDS.1 – Neoperreo
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
A very recent one at the Special Olympics stage during La Fête de la Musique 2023. I performed together with La Byle in front of a very cute and big audience.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
It’s one of the tools I use to create, either by using softwares or referencing it in my lyrics.
11. What we can expect from your concert at the Open-Air-Musikfestival DURCHLÜFTEN in Berlin?
You can expect to shake your booties with my DJ-Set. Better said, prepare your booties, they’ll bounce!