Kalle Zeier was born on the 29th of May 1983 in Herrmannstadt (Sibiu/Romania). Already during his school years he played in different bands and had his first concert experiences. Since 2004 he studied Jazz guitar at the HfM Hanns Eisler in Berlin and took lessons from Kurt Rosenwinkel, Frank Möbus, John Hollenbeck and Jiggs Wigham. Kalle Zeier has been active in the city’s Jazz, Funk and Pop music scenes. Furthermore he teaches in music schools and gives private lessons.
Kalle is a long time member of the Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra. Don’t miss their charity concert in aid of Malawi this Saturday, 13.1.2024 at HAU Hebbel am Ufer.
1. The longest song title ever is Hoagy Carmichaelís 1943 ìI’m a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin’ Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues.
2. There are more people in Monaco’s orchestra than in its army
3. The only Member of ZZ Top who doesn’t have a beard is the drummer – named Frank Beard
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
When i was young the biggest inspiration for my music were guitar players like Jimi Hendrix and Wes Montgomery.
Wes Montgomery inspired me to study more jazz and Jimi Hendrix i liked because he invented a new way of playing the guitar.
Later Miles Davis became important to me with his many great records especially in the early years.
The Guitar player and improviser Fred Frith became important later in my life, as i like his unusual approach to play music and his view of seeing the instrument as more than just a guitar.
Other than that movies are also a good inspiration, for example the Twin Peaks Show by David Lynch, in fact also almost every other movie by him.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
My parents noticed when i was little that i listen to music a lot, so they bought me at first a little toy guitar with the picture of Woody Woodpecker on it. After that i got a real acoustic guitar and some guitar lessons from a friend of my parents.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Sonny Rollins the bridge
Bill Evans Trio waltz for debby
Miles Davis my funny valentine
Velvet Underground and Nico
Kraftwerk Mensch Maschine
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Beer Lovers at the Canal
Long club nights
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
Kreuzberg especially Gräfekiez
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
7. What was the last record/music you bought or listen?
Beastie Boys ill Communication
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
as performer: with Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra live at Jazzfest 2011, with Ebo Taylor at Union Chapel in London 2016
as spectator: roter Bereich live in Berlin Bon iver live in Berlin
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
Its somewhat important as i use various pedals to create new sounds and colours to improvise. Also in the process of writing, Loops and pedals or other recording devices can be helpful and inspiring.
11. Please tell us what people can expect from your Malawi Relief Concert with the Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra?
People can expect some great and interesting compositions by Daniel Glatzel. He is a very inspiring musician who thinks outside the box and brings innovative and suprising ideas with his music as well as fresh concepts to improvise as a collective. I think also the Malawi musical influence will be heard in the compositions. Also important is the band of course with its beautiful and great musicians that play together and bring the music to life.