1: LAKE lives on an island Washington State called Whidbey Island .
2: LAKE has toured in Europe two times before this tour.
3: LAKE currently has 4 members, but only 3 are on tour. The missing, Markly, had a second baby so he’s at home with the baby instead.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Folk music and Pop music have had the biggest influence on my style.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
LAKE began in 2005-2006, but everyone was already making music on their own before that. Home-recording brought us all together and allowed us to experience each other’s sensibilities. We all dabbled in home-recording as teenagers.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Roy Ayers – Drive
Prefab Sprout- Steve McQueen
Nantia – Nantia 72
Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
Nana Mouskouri – Athina
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Parties. Drinking beer on the subway-rail-tram. Buskers. There are a lot of big buildings with high ceilings. There is a lot of graffiti. Werner Hertzog’s film Little Dieter Learns to Fly, where Dieter talks about having to eat wallpaper as a child to survive in the scarcity after WWII.
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
Goss Lake is the best place to go swim in my town–I love to swim.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Black Belt Eagle Scout – Mother Of My Children
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Playing in Mount Eerie and solo with Eli Moore at the Chapel in San Francisco. Really good sound, crowd, and food.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
Crucial. I listen to music daily on the internet. I have turntables, gear. Uh! Drum machine?! Keyboards?! Computer?
I do enjoy playing acoustically, too. My friend, Marit, and I play folk music on fiddles together at the beach or in the woods. I also play percussion and drum, which feels like the bare minimum and I love it.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
My siblings are very supportive. I’m sure they have their doubts, though. Every once in a while, my brother has been in disbelief of some aspect of what I am doing. For instance, he didn’t understand why we put albums out on vinyl and almost seemed angry at the idea. I told him that it’s the label that does it, so it must be in their best interest to invest in vinyl. Also, I keep hearing that vinyl sales go up every year. My husband and I have mostly records and barely any cds. We can’t seem to take care of cds as well as vinyl and the cds usually go in the trash.
Lake are playing in Berlin on 3rd September. Get tickets here.