E, the trio of Jason Sidney Sanford, Thalia Zedek and Gavin McCarthy make angular, energized, and idiosyncratic rock music. These accomplished and inventive musicians could not be more different in the way they express themselves but their egoless dedication to ensemble playing and writing shapes E’s distinct sound. Negative Work is the product of three individuals whose dedication to the collaborative process may very well be the source of compelling tension underlying their songs.
1: Donald Trump is a horrible and utterly corrupt human being
2: Truth exists.
3: There is strength in numbers
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
The desire to create energy out of sound.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
By learning to play the recorder in a recorder choir at age 10.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Radio Ethiopia by Patti Smith Group
After the Goldrush by Neil Young
Sticky Fingers by The Rolling Stones
Prehistory by Circle X
Junkyard by Birthday Party
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
My second cousin Michael Kamnitzer, wonderful friends, beautiful parks, great music and art, Vatos Tacos
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
It’s a tie between my back porch and the Boston Harbor Islands, a series of islands a short ferry ride from downtown Boston.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Rob Noyes/Alexander split 7” on C/S Records. Solo acoustic guitarists (Rob is from Boston) in the American Primitive tradition.
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
David Lynch, his work and process as a composer, film maker, and writer are equally fascinating and it seems like he would be fun to work with.
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
As a spectator Diamond Galas at the Paradise Club in Boston, her last show in Boston before she vowed to never play here again. As a performer it is hopefully still to come.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
For my creative process it is not so important, with the exception of perhaps certain old guitar effects pedals which don’t really count as technology. I use it for recording songs and rehearsals and making records but the ideas are always born in analog.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
I have an older brother, Dan Zedek, who is a graphic designer and a musician/songwriter in the band Field Day. He is very supportive and has designed almost all of my record covers since I started making them in the 80’s.
E will perform at our Kiezsalon alongside Beatriz Ferreyra on 27th June 2018.