Sequoyah Murray is a 21 year old vocalist, musician and producer from Atlanta, Georgia. Writing deeply confessional lyrics and creating abstract textured song structures, Sequoyah is a product of his time, place and borderless generation, making music that is both wildly experimental and unforgettably accessible, his lyrics proudly recasting his vulnerabilities as strengths. His debut release, Penalties of Love, showcases one of the year’s most striking and original talents, and presents a vision of soul music made for our fractious times.
1: I’m 188 cm tall.
2: I’ve never been to Asia.
3: My first name is a Cherokee name.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
The desire to create something beautiful and to push my creative boundaries past their limits.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
In 2012 I was inspired to write and record music on GarageBand after learning that Grimes did so.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Various Artists – Brazil Classics 1: Beleza Tropical
The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
TR/ST – Trst
Björk – Homogenic
New Look – New Look
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Autumn trees, Neumann U47, fresh air, döner.
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
The forest of Southwest Atlanta.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
Become a career linguist.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
New Look’s “New Look” album
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
My best gig was in Baltimore, as performer. I was on on tour and the crowd completely surrounded and embraced me. They sang along despite having never heard my music before!
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
It’s pretty important seeing that I write either into my phone, recording voice memos, or into Logic on the computer!
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
I have two siblings and I have collaborated (and will continue to) with them both. They are supportive and involved in my career and art! I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Sequoyah Murray’s debut release ‘Penalties of Love‘ is out now!
Photo © Amber Felix