François Sarhan (b. September 30, 1972, Rouen) is a French composer, director and visual artist. His works have been presented at international festivals, including Musica (Strasbourg), Donaueschingen, Wittener Musik Tagen, Ars Musica (Brussels), Holland Festival, Maerzmusik (Berlin), etc. He is noted for creating his own music-theatre and multimedia works in which he himself often performs.
In 2019 he composed a chamber opera for the Deutsche Oper Berlin, “Nacht bis Acht”, and since then works on an ongoing work in progress called “Log Book”. He also directed a feature film with Ensemble Mosaik called ABERWASISTABERMUSIK in 2021.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
trains, whining babies, drunk weirdos, explosions
2. How and when did you get into making music?
i come from a music family. everybody makes music in my family so it was not a question
3. What are 5 of your favorite albums of all time?
Zappa, Overnite Sensation / Ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch
Wyatt : Rock Bottom
Cardiacs: Sing to God
Soft Machine: 2
Genesis: WInd nd wuthering
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Gentrification made by yuppies who complain about gentrification, parks, gloomy autumns, depressive winters, idiots with headphones and Macbookpro in vegan cafés who take themselves for artists, provincialism.
5. What’s your favorite place in your town?
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
plant trees, gardening.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
Svankmajer, once more.
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
The musical box (as a spectator), paris 2006
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
11. Do you have siblings, and how do they feel about your career/art?
i have plenty and they don’t give a shit.