Derek Shirley is a multi-instrumentalist based in Berlin since 2001, focusing on various forms of minimalism in both improvised and composed contexts. In the last years, primarily active on bass and drums, with the projects “the still” “double rainbow” “baudeskabinets (solo)” and newly, “krautfuzz”
Instruments: double bass, cello, drums, electronics Active in the improvised/experimental music scene. Focus on minimalism, both improvised and composed. Currently active with groups such as The Still (double bass and composition), monno (ebass and composition), obliq (double bass, electronics), coal oven (drums), Konzert Minimal (cello) and in his solo project “bau des kabinetts” (double bass, electronics and composition). Co-curator of the interdisciplinary event series “labor sonor” at Kunsthaus KuLe, Berlin.
Derek will play as part of the trio krautfuzz together with Imari Kokubo and Dirk Dresselhaus at ausland / Saturday, 4.11.2023
1. i don’t really believe in writing down facts, as such. i will interpret facts as personal reflections which i hold to be true for myself.
2. i seem to have dedicated my life to making sound, mostly with other people.
3. this still makes me happy
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
the non-existence of time
2. How and when did you get into making music?
piano lessons as a child
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
1.duke ellington “far east suite” 2. town and country “the loam hazard” 3. alvin Lucier “in memorium john higgins” 4. fugazi “repeater” 5. thelonius monk “underground” …..yeah – difficult – almost random – first five of today anyways!
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
that’s impossible. there is always music.
7. What was the last record/music you bought or listen?
christian wallumrod ensemble “many” (fucking awesome record)
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
devo at citadelle spandau 15.08.2023 (spectator)
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
11. What can we expect from your krautfuzz performance in Berlin?
all of the above!