1: Facts are facts
2: Fiction is fiction
3: Young bodies heal quickly
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Everyday life, the desire to create my own world to live in. Stress.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
Really young, maybe around 5 years old? I remember dancing with my dad in our basement listening to records. I started playing music around 11 or 12, then was in a band by 13 with some friends in my neighborhood.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Sonic Youth – EVOL
The Smiths – The Smiths
The Birthday Party – Junkyard
Brian Eno – Before and After Science
Arthur Russell – World of Echo
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
“Heroes” + “The Idiot”, Etienne, early 2000’s.
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
Rainbo Club – best bar in North America.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
The only other thing I do that I feel similarly to as I do about music is graphic design, maybe I’d figure out how to actually do that instead of treating it more like a hobby.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Tomaga: Music for Visual Disorders 2015 – 2017
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Probably Fugazi in 1994, In On The Killtaker tour.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
It’s pretty important, all the solo stuff I do revolves around modular synths. But the limitations on how I know how to use them dictates the way the music comes out so it’s hard to say what’s the real driver there.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
I have a twin sister, she’s supportive but unimpressed haha.
The new Brian Case LP “Plays Artificial Paradise” is out via Hands in the Dark.